Flaxseeds are hugely important in the food pyramid and live up to the hype. These tiny, heart-healthy, nutrient-packed seeds have a unique quality: they’re an excellent health food for weight loss. Also known as flaxseed, this is the best natural health supplement you can take on a daily basis. They are well-known sources of dietary fiber and many other macronutrients that aid weight loss and digestion. Even better, it’s not some fancy health supplement or chemical that you get into your body.
This article will explore why flaxseed should be a part of your weight loss regimen and how you can reap its benefits.
Flaxseeds: an introduction
Flaxseeds are small oil seeds that have been used throughout history in various civilizations for different purposes. While you can trace their origins to the Middle East, the Greeks used them as natural laxatives. Today, its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties help treat metabolic disorders and reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases and certain types of cancer.
Due to its multiple health benefits and great weight loss properties, flaxseed is one of the most popular functional foods. These functional foods can improve health in ways other than just nutrition. Due to the presence of three primary components, lignans, dietary fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids, research has found that flaxseed contributes to significant weight loss.
Understand how flaxseed helps you lose weight
It contains fiber that reduces appetite
Flax seeds are rich in dietary fiber. According to research, eating fiber leads to lower body weight. That’s because fiber keeps you feeling full for longer. By reducing appetite, flaxseeds help you reduce your calorie intake. In addition, they make you feel full by slowing down the digestion process in your stomach, which leads to the stimulation of various hormones that control appetite. Fiber-related weight loss is also associated with improved metabolism and healthy bowel movements.
It contains high quality protein and is low in calories
Flaxseeds are a rich source of high-quality vegetable protein. In just 100 grams of flaxseeds, you can get the benefits of 18 grams of protein! Furthermore, one tablespoon of flaxseeds contains only 55 calories. These flaxseed properties aid in weight management as they help you maintain a calorie deficit while still nourishing your body with protein properties. Protein is essential for maintaining overall health as it helps the body’s growth and development. If you also love to exercise, you should always look to increase your protein intake. Flaxseeds can be an excellent addition to your daily dose of natural protein.
Good source of Omega 3 fatty acids
The main component of flaxseed is alpha-linolenic acid. In a vegetarian diet, it is an important source of omega-3 fatty acids. A diet rich in omega-3 fatty acids has the potential to aid weight loss because it plays an important role in managing metabolic changes and managing obesity. In addition to its weight-loss properties, flaxseed oil is widely used to lower bad cholesterol levels in people who are overweight.
Rich in husks that help lose weight
Flaxseeds are rich in certain phytochemicals called lignans. Lignans are phytoestrogens and fiber-related compounds found in many plants. Helps improve the function of fat burning cells. Moreover, lignans effectively treat metabolic disorders such as obesity and diabetes. Lignans’ contribution to a healthy metabolism in the body also aids weight loss.
Flaxseeds can be a great addition if you are following a nutrient-rich diet that controls calories. They also contain many unique elements that aid in weight loss, which are difficult to find in other naturally occurring seeds. Flaxseed supports weight loss by increasing satiety, increasing metabolism and improving digestion.
Ways to use flax seeds for weight loss
To get the most out of flaxseeds, you must consume them properly. Additionally, remember that flaxseed alone may not help with weight loss. They work best when supplemented with regular exercise and a healthy diet.
You can eat flaxseed almost every day. About 1-2 teaspoons of flaxseeds daily is the recommended amount for consumption. Flaxseeds are as effective in weight loss as eating them in the morning or at night; There is not much difference. However, some of its additional effects may be more effective at certain times of the day. Because of its high fiber content, eating it in the morning, for example, will boost your metabolism. Regardless, it’s entirely up to you when you want to eat flaxseeds.
Here are the best ways to incorporate these tiny but nutrient-rich seeds into your diet.
- Flaxseeds give that extra crunch when added to salads, oatmeal, yogurt, or baked goods like muffins and brown bread.
- You can grind flaxseeds to make flaxseed powder. This powder can be an excellent addition to smoothies, mixed in a cup of warm water to start the morning or make flaxseed tea.
- Like a health supplement, you can also take 1 tablespoon of flaxseed powder daily.
- Flaxseed oil is ideal for dressing salads, dips, and sauces because it has a mild taste.
- Since flaxseed oil is sensitive to heat, we do not recommend cooking with it as heating it may alter its nutritional properties. It also does not have the same nutritional value as whole or crushed flaxseeds, so we recommend consuming flaxseeds in the latter forms.
Low in calories and rich in protein, omega-3 fatty acids and lignans, flaxseeds can help you get excellent results. But only if consumed in the right way and supplemented with proper exercise. Whole or crushed flaxseeds are better alternatives to flaxseed oil. Make sure you are not allergic to them before taking them daily.
Healthy recipes to try
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Whole flaxseeds: 2 tablespoons (60 g)
- Boiling water: 2 cups (500 ml)
- Lemon slice: 1
How to prepare
- Fill a teapot with whole flaxseeds. Wait 15 minutes after adding boiling water to the mixture. Strain if necessary.
- Add a slice of lemon.
Banana juice, oats and flax seeds
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Banana: 1
- Ground flaxseeds: 1 tablespoon (30 g)
- Unsweetened Greek yogurt: 1 cup (250 g)
- Instant oats: 2 tablespoons (60 g)
- Apple: ½
How to prepare
- Chop banana and apple in a blender.
- Add yogurt and oats to the blender and let it spin.
- Add the ground flaxseeds and stir well.
- Pour the juice into a glass.
Lentil soup with flax seeds
Quantity is enough 2
Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Yellow lentils: ½ cup (70 g)
- Minced garlic: 1½ tsp (15 g)
- Chopped tomatoes: 1
- Chopped onions: 1
- Flaxseed powder: 2 tablespoons (50 g)
- Extra virgin olive oil: 1 tablespoon (40 ml)
- Water: 1 cup (250 ml)
- Salt and black pepper: to taste
- A bunch of coriander leaves
How to prepare
- Heat the olive oil and add the chopped garlic. Fry until it turns brown.
- Add chopped onions, tomatoes, salt and pepper. Cook for a minute, then add the lentils.
- Add a cup of water and let it cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add flaxseed powder. stir well.
- Garnish with coriander leaves.
If you haven’t had flaxseed before, it’s never too late to try these excellent natural supplements and discover their nutritional benefits. No wonder they have become one of the most trusted foods for weight loss. But if you want to make some healthy and long lasting changes to your weight, sticking to a balanced diet plan and exercise routine is the way to go!