recipes

Having one of these plants in the house can be dangerous: remove it immediately

Written by hana

When choosing a plant, we mainly care about its aesthetic aspect, ease of maintenance, but sometimes we forget that some of them can be poisonous and harm humans, animals or other plants in the house. Let’s find out which types to avoid on your balconies.

If you have these plants on your balcony: beware of danger

balcony plants

Balcony Plants – Source: spm

Gardening is a pleasure and is one of the favorite pastimes of the French, but in order for the dream not to turn into a nightmare, you should thoroughly know these garden plants and their dangers:

1- colchicum If this plant is wonderful with a beautiful flower, you should know that an onion can be poisonous if ingested and can cause nausea, vomiting or diarrhea.

colchicum

Allahah – Source: spm

2- spotted estrus : a herbal plant that contains toxic substances and is part of the list of plants that can cause skin irritation, inflammation, burning or even swelling of the tongue and lips if one absorbs new parts. be cerfull !

spotted estrus

Spotted Perfume – Source: spm

3- Thrush : When the month of May approaches, we are glad to see lily-of-the-valley branches blooming on our balcony. But behind the small, white, fragrant bells hide a toxin that can be irritating and heart toxic once ingested. Besides, the animals understand this well and do not go near it. Especially avoid it if you have children who may swallow it.

Thrush

Castles – Source: spm

4- ivy : What could be nicer than climbing ivy along a wall to frame a door or window. But be careful because all parts of the plant are harmful. The stems and foliage are allergens and can cause dermatitis. As for its berries, they are similar to blueberries, but they are not edible, and once ingested, they cause vomiting, colic, or even hallucinations and convulsions. Avoid if you have young children!

ivy

Ivy – Source: spm

5- oleander : Ornamental plant with its pink flowers, ubiquitous in pot cultures yet dangerous. Its stems, leaves, and flowers contain glycosides, which are a true heart poison. So feel free to get rid of it especially if you have children.

Poisonous oleander

Poisonous Oleander – Source: spm

5 Harmful Plants You Shouldn’t Be Indoors

By wanting to beautify your home and make it more pleasant, to bring the benefits of nature with houseplants, you sometimes make mistakes without realizing that they lead to the opposite result. Some plants are harmful and should be removed from the home. Let’s find out which ones.

1- philodendron : This green plant is probably the most widespread because it is easy to maintain and resistant. But what is often overlooked is that it contains insoluble calcium oxalate which, once ingested, can cause mouth irritation and digestive upsets. The main victims are pets, especially cats, who like to gnaw the leaves of plants.

philodendron

Philodendron – Source: spm

2- yucca Very popular for the tropical touch it brings to interiors, it’s also just as dangerous to your four-legged friends and can cause nausea and intoxication. Make sure to keep it out of the reach of your cat or dog.

yucca

Yuka – Source: spm

3- ficus benjamena : It is highly prized for its detoxifying properties and can unfortunately be a source of allergens due to the latex-like proteins present in its sap. It can cause rhinitis, conjunctivitis, eczema and asthma attacks.

4- amaryllis : Also called belladonna, this plant is toxic to animals as well as to humans. Contains lycurin which can cause poisoning: vomiting, diarrhea and respiratory problems if ingested. Its liquid can cause redness and burning once it comes in contact with the skin.

5- moon flower (Araceae): Very common, this plant, like lilies, can be dangerous to pets and humans. So succulents have both irritating and toxic properties. Therefore, it should be hung out of reach of children and cats.

indoor plants

Indoor plants – Source: spm

If you are aware of the dangers of some plants, feel free to inquire and seek advice before purchasing a plant.

warning : Use gloves when gardening, wash your hands thoroughly, and if swallowed, contact your nearest poison control center.

About the author

hana

Leave a Comment