How can we proceed then? What are the steps to follow? Read the rest of the article!
How to remotely lock your Windows 10 PC using Find My Device?
If your Windows 10 PC is lost or stolen from your home or workspace, Follow this procedure to lock it quickly and remotely:
1. Access your Microsoft account online.
2. Choose “Devices”.
3. Click the Overview tab, then select the View Details (or Manage) button for the device you want to lock.
4. Click on the Find My Device tab.
5. Choose the “Lock” button at the top right.
6. Click on the “Next” button.
7. Now you will be asked to create an SMS with the return instructions. This message appears on the lock screen. You can write whatever you want, but make sure he understands your contact details.
8. Then press the “Lock” button.
9. Click the Reset Password button to change your current password if you think someone is trying to access your account. Finally, you can also click on the OK button.
NB: For this process to work, your computer must be connected to the Internet. Otherwise, it will not be possible to lock it.
After completing these steps, Windows 10 will automatically log out all active users, disable local users, and display the message you typed on the lock screen. Note that this is not intended to disable administrator accounts, but rather to prevent unauthorized access.
When you restore your computer, you can use it as if nothing happened! Simply sign in to your account by entering your original password or a completely new password if you created one during the locking process.
How do you locate your computer after it is locked?
To allow its users to know the exact location of lost computers, Microsoft has implemented a function called “Activate Translation”.
In fact, the remote lock we discovered above is only part of the Find My Device feature in Windows 10. If it isn’t activated yet, your Microsoft account will automatically display the “Enable location” option. Thus, you can track the location of your lost device, provided that it remains online.
How is Find My Device activated on my computer? Follow these steps:
1. Click on the Settings menu.
2. Click on Update & Security.
3. Choose Find My Device;
4. Click the Edit button;
5. Click the “Save my device location periodically” toggle button.
NB: It is recommended that you start this process as soon as possible.
If you complete these steps, your Windows 10 PC will save its current location several times a day to your Microsoft account. This is very practical in case of loss or theft! Even though it is turned off, you will still be able to track it through its last known location.
in By following the predefined steps, you can change your password and locate your PC from your Microsoft account.