All raw or cooked meat can be frozen. But for how long? explanations.
How long can meat stay in the freezer?
A family meal is always an opportunity to share many unforgettable moments about delicious and cheerful dishes. Yes but now, once the guests come home, you end up with leftover meat and have to be accepted, sometimes too much. Because there was not enough space in your refrigerator, you decided to keep the meat in the freezer. In addition to preserving the nutritional qualities of meat, Freezing is also an excellent way to slow the growth of bacteria in different foods.
But one question remains: How long do you keep meat in the freezer?
Shelf life of meat in the freezer
All raw, cooked, sliced, or vacuum-packed meat can be stored in the refrigerator for later consumption, without losing its nutritional value. However, the freezing time varies with the type of meat. The shelf life that must be respected so that it does not pose any health risks without changing its taste and flavour. If you lack standards, you can refer, for information, to the different meat storage times, shown below:
- Lamb, veal or pork: 6 to 8 months
- Minced meat: two to three months
- Cooked meat: two to three months
- Smoked meat: 1 to 2 months
- Fresh sausage: 1-2 months
- Offal offal: 3 to 4 months
- Whole poultry: 6 to 8 months
- Shredded poultry (fillets or drumsticks): 6 months
to note that The information provided above is for informational and indicative purposes only.. Therefore, if meats are vacuum packed, especially in trays, feel free to refer to the use date listed there or ask your butcher for advice when buying by the slice.
How do you freeze meat properly?
Now that you have an idea of the shelf life of meat and poultry in the freezer, you can freeze it, without respecting a few ground rules along the way.
- Ideally set the temperature of the freezer at -18 ° C before storing the meat;
- Empty your freezer so that you have a full freezer compartment for meat in order to save space;
- Pack the different cuts of meat for each portion in airtight plastic bags, remembering to remove the existing air before sealing;
- keep the original packaging if the meat was previously vacuum packed, paying attention to the expiration date before freezing;
- write on each bag the type of meat and the date of freezing;
- Respect the estimated shelf life of each cut and types of meat.
Best way to defrost meat?
Unlike freezing, defrosting must be done slowly so that the meat retains all its characteristics both in terms of taste and flavour. Depending on the size of the piece of meat you plan to cook, you can ideally thaw meat in the refrigerator. Generally count 3 to 4 hours for small parts and 12 to 24 hours for large parts.
If not, and if you have a short time, you can always consider thawing meat in the microwave. This method, despite its effectiveness, is not suitable for large pieces of meat, defrosting is carried out only from the outside, and the inside remains frozen. So it is enough to arrange small and medium pieces of meat on a plate or in a bowl and then put them in the microwave by selecting the “defrost” mode. Do not forgetAdjust the defrosting time according to the size and nature of the piece of meat Avoid ending up cooking directly in the microwave.
This valuable information allows you to perfectly preserve any type of meat for tasting at any time of the year. Also note that it is best not to abuse meat, especially red meat, for the sake of your health. For those who prefer not to take it, know that there are alternatives to supplying the body with its protein needs.