Are you a coffee lover? Or do you like to start your day with a cup of coffee? Coffee lovers love the idea of drinking coffee and giving their brains a warm liquid hug. Did you also know that coffee can increase weight loss? Yes, you read correctly! Coffee can help you lose weight. This caffeine drink contains powerful nutrients like magnesium, potassium, niacin and antioxidants that boost metabolism.
Coffee lovers will agree that there is nothing better than a good cup of coffee. A cup of steamed cappuccino soothes and warms the insides on rainy days. Frozen Frappuccinos simply beat the heat on hot days. It encourages you when you feel lonely or helps you stay awake while studying. The smooth liquid never fails to bring happiness or satisfaction every time you consume it. There are endless blends of coffee. However, knowing what works best for weight loss is vital.
Read on to discover more about what you can get by sipping this hot drink.
When consumed in moderation and without many added sweeteners, coffee can help you lose weight and benefit your overall health. We cannot deny that coffee is a great energy booster. Furthermore, research has shown that drinking a regular cup of coffee promotes healthy weight management in the long term.
How does coffee help you lose weight?
According to studies, caffeine intake promotes weight loss. However, it is essential to understand that more than 400 mg of caffeine per day is associated with risk and ill effects on health.
Coffee may affect your weight directly, as does your metabolism and sleep quality. So, here are some potential ways to uncover the relationship between coffee and weight loss.
May suppress appetite
Drinking coffee will reduce your appetite and reduce your calorie intake. Although the effect is temporary, drinking coffee an hour before a meal will make people eat less.
Supports a healthy metabolism
Several studies link coffee consumption to lower body weight and lower body mass index (BMI) and fat. This is because the caffeine content in coffee will effectively increase the resting metabolic rate, leading to fat loss.
Boosts workout sessions
Having a coffee an hour before your workout will keep you running for longer at a higher intensity. Plus, it stimulates the release of dopamine, making you burn more calories than ever before.
Coffee tricks to boost weight loss
Making small adjustments to your coffee routine can greatly affect your weight loss goal in a positive way. Here are some ways to fit a caffeinated drink into your weight loss diet.
- pair with water: Although coffee is a diuretic, increasing it with water will keep you feeling full throughout the day and prevent the temptation to binge.
- Pre-workout drink: Drinking coffee before a workout increases body heat and energy, and promotes burning of fat and calories.
- Avoid Milk, Cream, and Sugar: An ordinary cup of coffee contains only two calories. Adding cream or sugar increases calories and leads to weight gain. Hence cut out the cream/sugar and use artificial sweeteners.
- Resist and reduce: Drinking coffee will reduce your appetite. However, drinking it first thing in the morning will lead you to skip breakfast. As a result, it will make you crave food at irregular times, which will hamper your weight loss plan. So, make sure you don’t skip breakfast.
- Try a healthy half caffeine: Even a little coffee can go a long way, while excess consumption causes insomnia and stress. Try switching to half caffeine. This will allow you to safely drink coffee in a day, effectively helping you lose weight.
- Ditch the caffeine time: Extend your daily intake to get the full benefits of coffee for weight loss. It will give you an extra boost during exercise and reduce food cravings.
Drinks you should try for weight loss
Besides caffeine, coffee also contains nutrients that help stave off hunger and keep you from heading to the jar of snacks. So it’s a win-win situation. Although it’s a good reason not to give up your favorite cup of coffee, adding sugars and cream may be out of the question.
To help you out, here are some low-carb and low-calorie coffee recipes that are known to promote weight loss.
Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Filtered Water – 12 oz / 354 ml
- 3 tablespoons of freshly ground coffee
- 2 tablespoons grass-fed butter
- Coconut oil – 1 tablespoon
- With coffee and water, brew the coffee the way you want it.
- Pour the hot coffee into the blender and add the butter and coconut oil.
- Blend the ingredients for at least 30 seconds until foamy.
- Pour it into a large glass, then serve.
Iced paleo coffee
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- cashew milk – 1 cup
- Plain or Vanilla Protein Powder – 2 Tbsp
- espresso shot
- Medjool Dates – ½
- Ice – 4-5 cubes
- Add plain protein/vanilla powder, cashew milk, espresso shot, and data, and blend until mashed.
- Mix the mash with ice until it reaches the desired consistency.
Pumpkin coffee latte
Preparation time: 5 minutes
- Pumpkin Shake – 1 packet
- Brewed coffee, chilled – 8oz/236ml
- Fat-free whipped topping (optional)
- Pumpkin pie seasoning – to taste
- Add the pumpkin spice and cooled coffee to a mixing bottle and shake well.
- Pour mixture into a large cup of coffee and microwave until desired temperature (about 2 minutes total)
- Or you can serve the coffee with ice and serve it cold.
- Top hot/cold coffee a layer of skim whipped topping with a sprinkle of pumpkin pie spice.
Disadvantages of excessive coffee consumption
Coffee is one of the few drinks that helps in weight loss. However, an increased intake of beverages may be harmful to your health in various ways. It includes:
Makes you feel excited
The stimulant drink, coffee, can leave you feeling energized rather than calm and in control when consumed in excess. Excessive intake will lead to lethargy, irritability and anger.
Impairment of blood sugar levels
Drinking more coffee stimulates the secretion of sugar into the blood, which leads to higher blood sugar levels. On top of that, it also works to stave off sugar cravings, making you sneak into your snack cabinet and cheat on your diet plan.
Coffee can increase fat oxidation, which helps with weight loss with diet and exercise. However, drinking too much coffee every day can negatively affect your brain and overall health. According to the Food and Drug Administration, people should not consume more than 400 mg of caffeine per day.
Most people want to lose a few pounds as quickly as possible. Although coffee is recommended as a nutritional aid for weight loss, the role of caffeine is still hotly debated. Coffee may help you lose some weight and prevent weight gain. However, it cannot be permanently prevented.
Like any other food, being smart about your coffee servings is key to achieving your weight loss goals. However, the best advice for those looking to lose weight healthily is to put in the time and effort to eat well and exercise properly. Drinking coffee reasonably with an increased exercise regimen and a healthy, low-calorie diet is the secret to achieving your long-term weight loss goal.