Metabolic health is the key to your overall health; hence it is essential to take good care of it. To understand the importance of metabolic health, it becomes vital to understand what metabolism is. Metabolism is a type of chemical reaction responsible for the breakdown of food and provides energy to the body. This process changes the food we eat into energy.
There are two types of metabolism: Catabolism and Anabolism. Catabolism is a type of metabolism which breaks organic matter. The process includes the breakdown of molecules to produce energy in the body. Anabolism occurs when your body requires the synthesis of compounds by the cells. Your body utilises this energy to form other vital components like protein or nucleic acids.
Diet plays a significant role in metabolic health. For example, one of the most visible signs of metabolic syndrome is having a large waist circumference. In addition, physical inactivity and extra weight can lead to metabolic syndrome. Therefore, it is imperative to maintain healthy eating habits if you are already not doing it. For example, suppose you have been or are a person suffering from metabolic diseases. In that case, sticking to a personalised diet that reverses the condition is advisable.
Tracking the foods you consume throughout the day is essential for reversing metabolic syndrome and improving metabolic health. However, it sometimes becomes challenging to note every detail, even if you try to organise a journal. HealthifyMe Pro 2.0 will help you manage your metabolic health with a click of a button. It comes with a smart scale that enables you to understand specific areas to focus on while embarking on a weight loss journey. In addition, the smart scale helps you know your body fat percentage and muscle mass, and the coaches can help you lose weight correctly.
It syncs wirelessly with the app. You get insights on a real-time basis with the help of a CGM wearable device that records your body’s reaction to food and activity levels through the spike in blood glucose levels. As a result, the coaches and the AI helps you to modify your existing lifestyle and food habits.
HealthifyPRO works as an enabler. Knowing how your body reacts to foods and activities, you learn to manage your lifestyle better. Continuous feedback and conversations with the coaches help you form healthier habits. As a result, you lose weight healthily and work to improve your metabolic health.
You must incorporate some foods to have better health. Also, soups and stews are easy to make. It takes little time to cook them and is ideal for all age groups. They are nutrient-dense and are a boon for picky eaters. Mix some ingredients, cook and season them and have your daily dose of health.
The HealthifyMe Note
Metabolic syndrome is a cluster of parameters that increases your risk of heart disease, stroke and diabetes. These conditions are an abnormality in blood sugar, blood pressure, triglycerides or cholesterol, excess body fat and high waist circumference. Suppose you have any of the conditions and do not rectify them. In that case, you are at a higher risk of developing these illnesses. Since it takes time for one to realise the onset of these irregularities and frequently requires medical supervision, it is good to be self-aware. For example, if you are putting on weight and have a high waist circumference, you must be mindful of it. In that case, make a conscious decision to lose weight and incorporate physical activities into your life.
Soups and Stews with Recipes
Cabbage soup will help you get in better shape and improve your metabolism. The recipe contains high fibre and assists with better immunity. In addition, as a low-calorie recipe, it is completely dairy and gluten-free.
- Extra-virgin olive oil: 2 tbsp
- Onions (chopped): 2 cups
- Carrots (chopped): 1 cup
- Celery (chopped): 1 cup
- Green bell pepper (chopped): 1 cup
- Garlic (minced): 4 large cloves
- Cabbage (sliced): 8 cups
- Tomato paste: 1 tbsp
- Chipotle chiles (minced): 1 tbsp
- Cumin (ground): 1 tsp
- Coriander (ground): ½ tsp
- Low-sodium vegetable broth: 4 cups
- Water: 4 cups
- Black beans: 2 cans (15 ounces)
- Salt – ¾ tsp
- Cilantro (chopped): ½ cup
- Lime juice: 2 tbsp
- Put the olive oil in a soup pot on medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Stir the veggies in the vessel for 10 minutes.
- Add cabbage and cook until softened. It would take another 10 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, chipotle chiles, coriander, and cumin.
- Cook for another minute.
- Add the broth, water, beans, and salt and cover it to a boil.
- Cook for 10 minutes on low heat, partially covering the pan.
- When the veggies are completely soft, serve and enjoy.
Tofu is one of the most recommended foods to promote weight loss, increase metabolism, improve digestion and boost brain function. It is high in protein and can also help with reducing bad cholesterol. As per USDA, 100 grams of tofu holds nutrients including fibre, calcium, iron, sodium and potassium.
- Garlic (minced) – 6 cloves
- Canola oil – 2 tsp
- Brown sugar – 1 tbsp
- Tofu – 14 ounces
- Soy sauce – ¼ cup
- Chile-garlic sauce – 2 tsp
- Bok choy greens (thinly sliced) – 4 cups
- Whole-wheat Noodles – 8 ounces
- Cilantro (chopped) – ½ cup
- Vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth – 4 cups
- Mushrooms (stemmed and sliced) – 2 cups (4 ounces)
- Ginger (grated) – 2 tbsp
- Rinse the tofu and pat it dry.
- Cut the block into 1-inch cubes.
- Heat a pan on moderate flame, and add the oil.
- Add ginger and garlic, then cook for about a minute.
- Once it is fragrant, add in the mushrooms. Cook it for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the sugar, broth, soy sauce, and chile-garlic sauce.
- Cover the pot for 5 minutes and bring it to a boil.
- Add bok choy and tofu to the pan. Cover it and cook for 3 minutes on low heat.
- Turn the flame to high and add the boiled noodles.
- Close the pot for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Once you finish that, add the cilantro for garnishing.
Red Chilli Pepper Soup
A study shows that Red Chilli pepper contains a significant component known as Capsaicin, which restricts the growth of cancer cells. In addition, according to research, the component capsaicin helps improve the body’s metabolism. So, if you wish to shed some pounds or improve your body metabolism, including some chilli pepper in your diet might help you speed up the process.
- Canola oil – 2 tbsp
- Onion (diced) – ½ cup
- Red bell peppers (diced) – 1 cup
- Green Thai or serrano chiles (chopped) – 1 or 2 (according to your spice pallet)
- Sweet Hungarian paprika – 2 tsp
- Sea salt – 1 tsp
- Cardamom (ground) – ½ tsp
- Unsalted pistachios (shelled) – ½ cup
- Vegetable broth – 2 cups
- Non-fat buttermilk – 1 cup
- Whipping cream – 2 tbsp
- Cilantro or basil (finely chopped fresh ) – 1/4 cup
- Warm the canola oil over moderate heat in a pan.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and chillies according to your taste.
- Stir the veggies until the onion becomes golden brown.
- Sprinkle in salt and cardamom powder and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth and pistachios. Bring it to a boil.
- Keep the pan on low flame for 10 to 12 minutes to let the veggies soften.
- Once you finish that, leave it to cool down and move it to a blender.
- Blend it to form a smooth paste.
- Whisk the buttermilk and cream and gently blend them into the soup.
- Put the soup back to the flame on low heat for a minute.
- Sprinkle the cilantro and serve in a bowl.
Butternut Squash Soup
Butternut squash is a versatile vegetable that packs plenty of essential vitamins and minerals with zero cholesterol. In addition, consuming butternut squash soup can promote metabolic health and aid your weight loss as it contains high dietary fibre.
- Butternut or other winter squash- 1 ½ pound
- Canola oil – 1 tsp
- Celery (chopped) – 2 stalks
- Onion (diced) – ½ cup
- Carrot (chopped) – ½ cup
- Cumin (grounded) – 1 tsp
- Chipotle chile (ground) – ¼ tsp
- Cloves (ground) – ⅛ tsp
- Vegetable broth – 6 cups
- Sea salt – 1 tsp
- Pepper (ground) – ¼ tsp
- Non-fat plain yoghurt – ½ cup
- Chives or parsley (chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Preheat the oven up to 350 degrees F.
- Cut squash in half and place it on a baking sheet facing the cut downwards.
- Bake for 45 minutes until it is tender.
- Scoop out the flesh and put it in a separate bowl to cool down.
- Heat some oil with medium flame in a pan.
- Add celery, onion, and carrot and stir continuously for 5 minutes.
- Add in the squash and vegetable broth and stir for another 10 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, cumin, and cloves to the soup.
- Blend the soup using a blender, and reheat for a minute.
- Garnish with yoghurt on top.
- Sprinkle chives or parsley and serve hot.
Quinoa is a type of grain often used in the healthy weight loss diet. It is highly nutritious and has a good source of protein, making the quinoa stew an ideal choice to satisfy your hunger and boost your metabolic rate.
- Olive oil
- Onion (roughly chopped) – 1
- Garlic (roughly chopped) – 6 cloves
- Dried oregano – 2 tbsp
- Dried cumin – 3 tsp
- Tomatoes with juices (diced) – 1 can (28 oz)
- Chicken stock – 4 cups
- Dry quinoa – 1/3 cup
- Lime – 1
- Chicken (shredded and cooked) – 3 cups
- Zucchini – 2 large
- Kosher salt – 1 tsp
- Black pepper (ground) – ¼ tsp
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a pan.
- Saute the onion and garlic until it turns soft and brown.
- Add in the oregano and cumin powder, and cook for a minute.
- Add tomatoes with chicken stock and quinoa.
- Once it reaches the boiling level, immediately lower it to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the juice of half a lime.
- Add in the chicken and zucchini.
- Cook this on low heat for five more minutes.
- Add kosher salt and black pepper according to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
A nourishing fresh chicken soup loaded with ginger and other vegetables will enhance your metabolism and immunity. In addition, as lean meat, chicken can satiate one for a long time, making you binge eat less on other unhealthy snacks.
- Chicken broth – 8 cups
- Garlic (finely chopped) – 2 tbsp
- Ginger (finely grated) – 2 tbsp
- White rice – ½ cup
- Soy sauce – 1 tbsp
- Salt – 1 tsp
- Sesame oil – 1 tsp
- Hot chile sauce – 1-2 tsp
- Chicken (shredded and cooked) – 1 cup
- Scallions (finely chopped) – 2
- Sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Warm up the oil in a pan over medium heat.
- Add garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. Stir for around 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in salt and add chilli sauce and stir for another 2 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth and white rice and bring it to a boil.
- Let the rice cook on low heat for around 25 minutes.
- Add the shredded chicken.
- Heat the pan on low flame for about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Sprinkle the sesame seeds on top and serve hot.
A study shows that lycopene in tomatoes spikes up the metabolic rate and induces genes that regulate fatty acid oxidation. As a result, tomato soup is packed with the goodness of essential nutrients to bolster immunity levels, reduce cholesterol risk, and improve weight loss.
- Cherry tomatoes (rinsed and cut in halves) – 5 oz
- Tomatoes with their sauce (diced) – 1 can
- Low-sodium vegetable stock – ½ cup
- Onion (finely diced) – 1 small
- Garlic (minced) – 2 cloves
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tsp
- Sea salt – ½ tsp
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Apple cider vinegar – 1 tbsp
- Black pepper (ground) – ¼ tsp
- Mixed seeds and nuts to garnish
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan.
- Put on the onion and garlic and cook them for one minute.
- Add turmeric and cherry tomatoes, and cook until the tomatoes soften.
- Add the tomato can contents, vegetable stock, apple cider vinegar, and basil.
- Close the pan and let it sit for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Transfer the mixture into a blender. Blend until you get a creamy liquid.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot garnished with mixed seeds and nuts.
Seafood has a good amount of protein and is rich in omega-3-fatty acids, potassium, copper, and vitamins to create a healthy stew. In addition, incorporating lean seafood into your diet will positively affect your gut microbiome and metabolism.
- Tomatoes (crushed) – 28-ounce can
- Tomato sauce – 1 tbsp
- Vegetable broth – 4 cups
- Garlic (minced) – 3 cloves
- Yellow potatoes (bite-size pieces) – 1 pound
- White onion (chopped) – 1/2 cup
- Dried thyme – 1 tsp
- Dried basil – 1 tsp
- Dried oregano – 1 tsp
- Celery salt – 1/2 tsp
- Red pepper flakes (crushed) – 1/4 tsp
- Cayenne pepper – 1/8 tsp
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Large shrimp- 1 pound
- Scallops – 1 pound
- Parsley (chopped) for garnish
- Heat the cooking oil in a cooker.
- Add garlic and onion, and cook them for 2 minutes.
- Put on the tomatoes and salt. Stir for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced potatoes, vegetable broth, and all the spices.
- Bring it to a boil and cover the cooker.
- Cook for around 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
- Add in the shrimp and scallops. Cook on low flame for another 20 minutes.
- Once you finish that, garnish with parsley and serve hot.
It is essential to take care of your lifestyle and learn how the way of living affects your body. For this, you must be aware of your daily habits and how you can improve them. If you are worried about your metabolic health, implement the below-mentioned tips in your day-to-day life to prevent any disorders.
Drink Plenty of Water
According to research, water plays a significant role in metabolic health. Adequate consumption of water can help transport substrates across membranes. It also helps in temperature regulation and promotes blood circulation.
If you are among those who forget to drink water frequently, you might want to take it more seriously. It is essential to drink approximately 2.5 litres for women and 3.5 litres for men. If you consume less than the sufficient level, it might cause an imbalance in your metabolic system.
Pay Attention to Your Diet
It is crucial to track what you include in your diet. It will help you reduce snacking on unhealthy foods. For example, it is advisable to have fresh vegetables and fruits over frozen, unsweetened dried fruits, grains including brown rice, quinoa, and buckwheat. Furthermore, consuming homemade soup instead of one made of soup powders will increase your metabolism.
Take Ample of Rest
Most people often overlook the importance of rest in the metabolic rate. Nonetheless, having adequate amounts of sleep is extremely important. You might not realise the adverse effect instantly, but it weakens the body over time and makes it prone to diseases. Thus, having uninterrupted sleep of 7 to 8 hours at night is vital.
Every day we need to exercise, to keep ourselves fit and active. Lack of physical exercise will make the body weak and stiff, ultimately lowering the metabolic rate. Research has pointed out the importance of regular exercise for overall health.
The HealthifyMe Note
Soups and stews can be a great way to boost your metabolic health and burn fat naturally. Also, they contain fibre, protein and other essential nutrients. So it will help you shed pounds and keep you hydrated, energetic and fit. When you eat well, it impacts how you feel. When you are metabolically healthy, your quality of life improves. You are more productive at work and more invested in your personal life.
Metabolic health creates an energy balance within our bodies. Thus, taking care of our metabolic health is inevitable as the imbalance can cause many health complications. The problems can be obesity, high blood sugar, and blood pressure and even lead to life-threatening situations. There is also a direct link between metabolic health, diet, and lifestyle.
Hence, improving your lifestyle can enhance your metabolic health, eliminating the health risks. Some healthy lifestyle habits include drinking lots of water, physical exercise, a nutritious diet, and getting proper sleep. Overall, a healthy lifestyle and balanced diet can assist with better metabolic processes and contribute to holistic health.